Saturday, October 22, 2011

Farewell...for now

This is going to be a pretty big surprise for a lot of people, but I've decided poker as a living may not be for me anymore. I moved to Cabo about two months ago and have done pretty well here. I didn't really have any losing weeks and I had a lot of fun. With all that being said, for the first time in my life I just simply do not enjoy grinding poker. I've really only felt this way when I was on huge downswings. Feeling this way for weeks while having the time of my life and crushing poker is certainly a sign.

Moving to Cabo has given me a lot of time to think about things. I kind of moved here on a whim as I didn't see myself going to college for a year or two. I still loved the game and believed I could beat HU and 6-max for 6 figures a year pretty easily on Stars and Party. I still believe this is true, but I'm no longer happy doing this. I'm going to look for something else I'm passionate about and have fun doing as a career.

While I can see myself playing a lot of poker if/when the US legalizes it, I think moving out of the country for a long period of time is not the best choice for my life. By being down here I'm pretty much putting my life on pause. I'm moving to California (Temecula) with my best friend and his family. I've been close to his family for a pretty long time and believe it's the best move to make. I'm going to live there for a month, then probably head back home to Michigan for Thanksgiving. After that I'm going to start figuring out going to college as well as many other things I've kind of blown off for a long time.

I do not regret moving down to Cabo San Lucas in the least bit, even though I'm leaving my condo with almost a month remaining. I've had an absolutely amazing experience living here. It was a shock to me at first as I've never lived in another country for any relatively long amount of time. You still see things here that you'd never see in the US almost every day, but it's very safe here and the people are quite friendly. I learned a ton about myself from being down here for a while and met a lot of cool people. I also made a bit of money so that's always nice as well.

I've really never had a "normal" family and have been very independent since I was 13 or 14. I consider my friend family and have visited Temecula a couple of times and loved it every time. It just feels normal to sit down and eat dinner with your family, have emotional support, etc.

It's been a lot of fun and I appreciate everyone for their support and input. It really has helped me on my way to becoming a better person. I had a great run and hopefully you'll see me back online in a year or two playing here and there. I expect to be in college by the absolute latest Fall 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment